Top 10, 2008
JonRoig.com | Posted: 2009-01-03 00:45:16 | 4230 hits | View in Hi-Fi Mode
So... it's 2009 and that means I have to compile the official Best of 2008 list.
Kind of a crazy year, of course. I feel like I spent most of it playing outside, so I'm not sure I consumed as much entertainment as I normally would. I didn't see any of the big movies, really... kind of didn't do a good job of keeping up with the latest bands.
So... the list for this year is what it is. As always, my favorite things are always living things -- my friends, family, and pets. Lots of landmarks celebrated this year by a ton of folks, and, like all years, I owe the people in my life a ton of gratitude. That's not to ignore my cat, Soleil, who continues into the new year in good health and in fine shape. The dog, Gus, is starting to calm down... although he does still enjoy a good leg hump from time to time.
His crime is that he loves too much.
Here's the list of cool stuff for 2008.
- Running. You know I had to put this first -- this year, I did a bunch of
marathons and two ultramarathons. I survived Zane Grey, "America's Toughest
50 Miler." Crazy stuff... had a blast, met a ton of really cool people
along the way. I am now, undeniably, a real runner... and so is the dog, by the way. We ran Pat's Run together this year and had a heck of a race.
- New Balance 790's. The Coury Bros turned me onto these shoes, but I guess all the really fast trail d00dz are wearing 'em. They're totally light and provide just enough cushioning for a run like South Mountain.
La Grande Orange. Dude... how awesome is the pizza at that place? Pretty much
my favorite place to eat in all of Phoenix. Runners up are probably Fate, Pei Wei, and Humble Pie. And you know I still got love for Trader Joe's.
Lil' Wayne. Once again, keeping it gansta... 2008 was definitely the year of years for Lil' Wheezy. That guy is just ridiculous, in so many ways. A Milli is clearly the song of the year. Or maybe this really sweet version of "Things Are Gonna Get Easier" by Low Motion Disco.
- Random indie rock: Girl Talk, Fleet Foxes, Ratatat, Vampire Weekend, Submarines, Okkervil River, Blitzen Trapper
- The iPhone. Last year, it was the iPod Touch. This year, my iPod touch and my phone got stolen from the pool. Obviously, it was a sign from The Lord. And that cannot be denied. So, with the divine mandate in place, I picked up an iPhone. I've gotta say -- I really do kind of love it. There are flaws, to be sure, but I really dig having constant internet and stuff. The text messaging is incredible -- once you get used to it, you can never go back. I mean, what would I do without Pandora.
- JCVD. What the heck was this movie? Jean Claude Van Damme? WTF?
- Also great?... Rambo. And Burn After Reading. Pineapple Express was pretty entertaining, as is the new Xtacles spinoff from Frisky Dingo.
- P.A.I.N. Sure, I bought the PS3 to play GTA IV, but this, really, is my kind of game. The premise is simple -- you've got a guy in a slingshot and you score points by flinging him into the city in such a way that he can cause the most damage to either himself or his surroundings. Best $10 game ever!
Sky Diving. All the fun of running full speed down a mountain with none of the shoulder dislocation... what's not to like? Zarif 'n' I only went that once, but I'm itching to get out again. (Money I might've spent on my skydives was instead allocated to buying a really good bike. Hopefully, that was the right choice.)
... you know... in reviewing this list, I realized that I didn't put any books on there. The The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable, that book was awesome. So was Haruki Mukakami's book on running. Gotta give props to the War Nerd for getting a book out... pretty interesting reading. I also really enjoyed The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger and Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto.
2008 was a good year for books that follow the "something clever" colon "... then a semi coherent explanation" titling format. I hope we'll see more of that in 2009.
There are no comments. Go to the hi-fi version of this site to leave a message.
JonRoig.com - About Lo-Fi Mode
You are viewing JonRoig.com in lo-fidelity mode. I've got a fancier version of the site that
reporting all kinds of random problems. if the content looks a little messed up,
please forgive me -- this is still a work in progress...
View in Hi-Fi Mode
This category: The World of Jon
Stories in this category